In-House/Virtual Membership Meeting
Thursday, June 3, 2021
Greetings MOKAN Member,
As I have indicated in previous e-mails, we continue to take full advantage of technological advancements given every opportunity. We’re now allowed the opportunities to be at two places, and in that tight spot, even three places at the same time, due to COVID-19. With that said, we continue to taken every essential step necessary to assure that your safety and health remains exceptional outstanding.
This a reminder that MoKAN will be hosting another In-House/Virtual Membership Meeting on Thursday June 3, 2021,
MOKAN has invited Altman Charter as our guest to speak to our members about the Preservation Square Project 2A & 2B. The project is bidding within the next 2 weeks.
Guest Speakers: Edward “Eddie” Stechschulte,
Vice President, Altman-Charter Company
About Altman-Charter Company
Since its inception, Altman-Charter has grown from a local construction firm in St. Louis, MO to over 100 markets, nationally. With a presence in over 25 states, A/C understands the intricacies of a wide variety of markets and is quick to adapt to the needs of the location and the project.
MOKAN Pre-Apprenticeship Program
MOKAN’s Pre-Apprenticeship program is dedicated to helping you:
- Learn the Essential Skills and Leadership Skills that employers want entry-level workers to have prior to hiring and when they begin.
- Take Individual assessments of personal attributes and assets.
- Interest inventories to help you gain a greater understanding of your interests.
- Learn the history of minorities and females in the construction industry,
- Gain powerful life skills like anger management, overcoming barriers to employment, time management, work ethics,
- Leadership Skills Training – Learn the role of leadership in the workplace, along with resume and cover letter preparation.
- During the second phase of this course, you will be introduced to the construction industry and obtain the key knowledge and skills needed by the entry-level construction worker.
- Introduced to hand-tools, power-tools, construction drawings, material handling
- Understand information technology in the workplace
- At every stage you are assessed on their knowledge and skills.
- Also, during this course, the students may visit and place their application with:
- The Laborers Training Center in High Hill, Missouri
- The Operating Engineers Training Center in Silex, Missouri
- The Independent Electrical Contractors Training Center in Earth City, Missouri
At each of these training centers the students are introduced to the occupation and the skills and knowledge needed to become a journey-level worker in these crafts.
- Students will also complete the OSHA 10-hour certification.
- Receive a 40-hour certification in a Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER) program.
- Each student is also afforded an opportunity to directly interview, and to present themselves to organizations for hire.
Additionally, MOKAN continues to follow each individual over a six-month period to ensure they are employed and progressing in their career. All students are encouraged to become Tradesperson members of MOKAN for continued training and employment needs. For those who are having difficulty, MOKAN will continue to be proactive in working with graduates to find employment for these individuals.