MOKAN Pre-Apprenticeship Program
MOKAN’s Pre-Apprenticeship program is dedicated to helping you:
- Learn the Essential Skills and Leadership Skills that employers want entry-level workers to have prior to hiring and when they begin.
- Take Individual assessments of personal attributes and assets.
- Interest inventories to help you gain a greater understanding of your interests.
- Learn the history of minorities and females in the construction industry,
- Gain powerful life skills like anger management, overcoming barriers to employment, time management, work ethics,
- Leadership Skills Training – Learn the role of leadership in the workplace, along with resume and cover letter preparation.
- During the second phase of this course, you will be introduced to the construction industry and obtain the key knowledge and skills needed by the entry-level construction worker.
- Introduced to hand-tools, power-tools, construction drawings, material handling
- Understand information technology in the workplace
- At every stage you are assessed on their knowledge and skills.
- Also, during this course, the students may visit and place their application with:
- The Laborers Training Center in High Hill, Missouri
- The Operating Engineers Training Center in Silex, Missouri
- The Independent Electrical Contractors Training Center in Earth City, Missouri
At each of these training centers the students are introduced to the occupation and the skills and knowledge needed to become a journey-level worker in these crafts.
- Students will also complete the OSHA 10-hour certification.
- Receive a 40-hour certification in a Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER) program.
- Each student is also afforded an opportunity to directly interview, and to present themselves to organizations for hire.
Additionally, MOKAN continues to follow each individual over a six-month period to ensure they are employed and progressing in their career. All students are encouraged to become Tradesperson members of MOKAN for continued training and employment needs. For those who are having difficulty, MOKAN will continue to be proactive in working with graduates to find employment for these individuals.